turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I was transferred (L-1 visa) for a new job assignment to the US in February 2017. I got a lump sum instead of reimbursement for moving. Can I deduct my moving expenses?

The lump sum is included in my wages on W-2, there is no P-code amount in box 12.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
DS30

I was transferred (L-1 visa) for a new job assignment to the US in February 2017. I got a lump sum instead of reimbursement for moving. Can I deduct my moving expenses?

Yes - If your lump sum distribution is included as part of your W-2 box 1 taxable income, then you will be able to claim your eligible moving expense on your tax return.

According to the IRS, if you moved due to a change in your job or business location, or because you started a new job or business, you may be able to deduct your reasonable moving expenses but not any expenses for meals. If your move was not in connect to a new employment, then the IRS will consider these moving expenses nondeductible personal expenses.

Please refer to these links related to moving expenses: IRS - Moving Expenses and Moving Expense Deduction

To enter deductible moving expenses in TurboTax, log into your tax return (for TurboTax Online sign-in, click Here and click on "Take me to my return") type "moving expenses" in the search bar then select "jump to moving expenses". TurboTax will guide you in entering this information

View solution in original post

1 Reply
DS30

Yes - If your lump sum distribution is included as part of your W-2 box 1 taxable income, then you will be able to claim your eligible moving expense on your tax return.

According to the IRS, if you moved due to a change in your job or business location, or because you started a new job or business, you may be able to deduct your reasonable moving expenses but not any expenses for meals. If your move was not in connect to a new employment, then the IRS will consider these moving expenses nondeductible personal expenses.

Please refer to these links related to moving expenses: IRS - Moving Expenses and Moving Expense Deduction

To enter deductible moving expenses in TurboTax, log into your tax return (for TurboTax Online sign-in, click Here and click on "Take me to my return") type "moving expenses" in the search bar then select "jump to moving expenses". TurboTax will guide you in entering this information

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies