turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Would I get eligible for the the Plug in Electric car tax credit

I am considering buying an electric car and the $7500 tax credit is a big draw, but I usually get money back on taxes anyway, so would I be eligible for this credit?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

It is based on the total amount of income tax on the tax return, not the amount that you owe.  It is best explained by example:

Let's say your 'usual' tax return shows $10,000 in income tax, and you had $12,000 of Federal income tax withheld from your paychecks.  That would result in a refund of $2000.

Now let's add the vehicle credit.  The $7500 offsets the $10,000, so now there is only $2500 of tax.  You still had $12,000 of Federal income tax withheld from your pay, so now it results in a refund of $9500.

However, any unused amount does not carry over.  So if your total income tax (Line 47 of your Form 1040) is less than $7500, part of the credit would be lost.

View solution in original post

1 Reply

It is based on the total amount of income tax on the tax return, not the amount that you owe.  It is best explained by example:

Let's say your 'usual' tax return shows $10,000 in income tax, and you had $12,000 of Federal income tax withheld from your paychecks.  That would result in a refund of $2000.

Now let's add the vehicle credit.  The $7500 offsets the $10,000, so now there is only $2500 of tax.  You still had $12,000 of Federal income tax withheld from your pay, so now it results in a refund of $9500.

However, any unused amount does not carry over.  So if your total income tax (Line 47 of your Form 1040) is less than $7500, part of the credit would be lost.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies