Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Will I still be allowed to e-file if I use the extension that comes with being in a zip code in California that’s covered under disaster relief for the October deadline?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

7 Replies
MinhT1
Expert Alumni

Will I still be allowed to e-file if I use the extension that comes with being in a zip code in California that’s covered under disaster relief for the October deadline?

Yes, you will be able to e-file your return.

If you are a victim of the winter storms and live in one the affected counties in California, the filing and payment deadline for your 2022 Federal and State tax returns has been extended to October 16, 2023. There is no need for you to file an extension.

Please read this IRS document and this CA Revenue document for more information.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thanks for your reply. I read through those links you posted and they were good but they didn’t address the e-file aspect at all.

The reason I was questioning whether I can e-file is because of this article online: https://www.thestreet.com/taxes/where-has-tax-deadline-been-extended?

Which states: 

"The one caveat is that those who file their return after April 18 for disaster-related reasons will need to mail it rather than submitting electronically."

Also, do you happen to know what I need to do inside TurboTax (downloaded version) to file it after the original April 18th deadline? Do I just e-file normal or is there something extra I need to do?

ErnieS0
Expert Alumni

The IRS e-file portal is open through the extended filing deadline (16 October) so you can e-file your return through TurboTax.

The IRS automatically identifies taxpayers located in the covered disaster area and applies filing and payment relief. But affected taxpayers who reside or have a business located outside the covered disaster area should call the IRS disaster hotline at 866-562-5227 to request this tax relief.

If an affected taxpayer receives a late filing or late payment penalty notice from the IRS that has an original or extended filing, payment or deposit due date that falls within the postponement period, the taxpayer should call the telephone number on the notice to have the IRS abate the penalty.

See IRS provides tax relief for victims of severe winter storms, flooding, landslides and mudslides in C...

Note: The IRS has provided several notices regarding extended deadlines in California. If your county is not on the notice above, it may be on another notice.

Go to Tax Relief in Disaster Situations.

Sounds like residents affected by the California natural disasters will be able to use Turbo Tax to e-file taxes after April 18th and we do not need to do anything in particular in the Turbo Tax app to make sure the app will work after April 18th? 

Right.  You can efile as normal up to Oct 15.

The California Franchise Tax Board issued an updated list of counties that qualify for the filing extension to Oct 16, 2023 due to Winter Storms. I believe the FTB published the new information on 4/13/23, and only three counties are now excluded from the extended filing deadline. Those counties are Lassen, Modoc, and Shasta.  Previously Imperial, Kern, Lassen, Modoc, Plumas, Shasta, and Sierra counties were excluded.  This was valuable information to me as I live in Plumas county, and Plumas is now included in the filing extension deadline of Oct 16, 2023. The updated information is available on the FTB website and is a highlighted item at the very top of the FTB homepage. Hopefully this is useful information to many of you.

MonikaK1
Expert Alumni

Thank you for sharing this update. The postponement of time to file and pay does not apply to residents and businesses located in the following 3 counties:

Lassen, Modoc, and Shasta.

The updated county list now appears on the FTB's disaster relief webpage.

TurboTax will be available for e-filing until after the October deadline. See this help article for dates.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies