maleeksdw

Will I Get The Stimulus Checks on My Tax Return if I Was Ineligible For Them?

I didn't qualify for either of the first two stimulus checks because I was a claimed as an adult dependant.  Will I be able eligible for a recovery rebate tax credit for them on my tax return this year or am I still ineligible for any of those payments?

DMarkM1

Yes, you can receive the Recovery Rebate Credit on your 2020 tax return as long you do not indicate that you can be claimed by someone else on their 2020 tax return and no one claims you on their 2020 tax return.

The amount you are eligible for is based on stimulus rounds one and two and the information in your 2020 tax return.  TurboTax will make the calculations for you as you answer the interview questions for your tax return.  

Here is a link with more information on the Recovery Rebate Credit eligibility and calculations.  

maleeksdw

Thank you so much for the reply!  Would I need to mail in for my return or am I able to do it electronically to claim it when I file?

AlanT222

Yes, you can e-file your income tax return if you are claiming the Recovery Rebate Credit.