turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Why is the system adding in unearned income, such as unemployment to calculate the EIC amount. That is wrong.

just to be clear, I don't have a child - I wouldn't be getting the EIC on the basis of having a child. I normally qualify for EIC on the basis of having earned income that is above zero and below the maximum threshold for claiming EIC. In 2020 I earned zero income ($0 earned income) while receiving unemployment benefits but can still claim a 2020 EIC based on my (higher) 2019 earned income?

Why is the system adding in unearned income, such as unemployment to calculate the EIC amount. That is wrong.

Yes

Alright - thank you so much, I'm paranoid I'm going to do something wrong and have the IRS think I'm trying to commit fraud... but turbo tax's "more help" buttons on all the tax prep pages are down and displaying "no content available" so I'm going on your advice. Fingers Crossed.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies