Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Why is the money that i contributed to a dependent care FSA (box 10 on W2) being factored in when calculating my AGI?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
BillM223
Expert Alumni

Why is the money that i contributed to a dependent care FSA (box 10 on W2) being factored in when calculating my AGI?

You need to enter the relevant data for the Child and Dependent Care credit under Deductions and Credits...or do a Search (upper right for 2441 and click on the jump-to link (Mac users must find it in the Topics List).

You have to show that you had child care expenses and you have to show that both spouses had earned income (or one was disabled and/or a full-time student).

If not, then the amount in box 10 contributed to the dependent care FSA is added back to your income.

So did you do the Child and Dependent Care credit interview? Did you go all the way through it? Do both spouses have earned income?

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Make sure both W-2s are entered BEFORE you start the Dependent Care Credit Section. Normally, the Dependent Care Credit Section should ask you about your daycare expenses, but I think if both W-2s aren't entered before this is started, I wonder if Turbotax assumes someone isn't working and won't let you fill this section out (thus thinking box 10 is taxable)?  Try deleting the Dependent Care Credit (Form 2441) section after both W-2s are filled out and re-enter your information and see if it asks you for your daycare expenses and fixes the issue?

https://ttlc.intuit.com/turbotax-support/en-us/help-article/small-business-processes/delete-form-244...

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies