Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

b43392

Why do I receive an error message to compete schedule 8812? I do not claim qualifying children on FIT and did not receive a child credit payment.

The results do not answer my question.
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies
DawnC
Expert Alumni

Why do I receive an error message to compete schedule 8812? I do not claim qualifying children on FIT and did not receive a child credit payment.

You have to go through the Child Tax Credit section and answer the questions - basically, you need to tell TurboTax that you did not receive any advance payments.   Once you click through the screens in that section, the Form 8812 will go away permanently.      

To get back to this section to review it, search for Child Tax Credit and use the Jump to Child Tax Credit link to be taken to those questions and go through carefully making sure to indicate that you nor your spouse received any advance payments.   

Everyone has to go through that section (or at least confirm what payments, if any, you received as advances) before filing this year - even if you have zero kids and received no advanced payments....

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Finally I could delete the schedule 8812 from the forms after going through each step by step child care question.  Thank you @DawnC  !

"Everyone has to go through that section before filing this year - even if you have zero kids and received no advanced payments...."

Why would I even have to look at this if I don't have dependents?  Seems like more of a bug in the program than a helpful exercise.

kelausser
Returning Member

Just a bug.  I received the same error with all 5 tax returns I filled out.  I just entered "0".  Ran smart check again and the error was gone.

Thank you @DawnC for the response ... but I have to agree with @Thnicedncr it is ridiculous to have to step through all the child related questions if the personal info states that the filer is single, with no dependents.  The program (and programmers) ought to be "smart enough" to bypass entire sections related to dependents, children and related payments based on the Personal Information provided/inputted by the filer.  I expect to NOT have to answer questions about situations that don't apply - or ask one (1) question that allows a bypass ("does not apply to me") .  This is done in other areas and for other topics, why not this one?

I was able to do my return without this even being asked.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies