turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

why did Turbo Tax give me a recovery rebate credit and IRS disallowed it

@Sailing-Bob   Did you receive the 3rd Stimulus payment they sent out starting last March 2021?  And it showed up on 1040 line 30?  Then you tried to get it again.  Turbo Tax asked you if you got the total amount you were eligible for, 1400 for each person on your tax return.  Are you Single or Married?  Any Dependents?

You had to enter the amount you you already received to see if you qualify for any more.  Line 30 is only if you didn't get the full amount or qualify for more, like if you added a new baby.  You must have not answered the question right or entered the wrong amount you already got.  

Double check your bank accounts and check your IRS account (both accounts if married) to see how much the IRS sent you.
https://www.irs.gov/payments/your-online-account

We did receive the full rebate amount of $2800. The next question TurboTax asked was if that amount matched the amount in a letter referred to as 6475. I answered yes to that question.  I assumed, since I didn't have that letter at hand, that the amount listed was correct. The next screen indicated something like "we crunched the numbers" and you "have received" the amount you should have received ($2800).  That was the end of the questions on the stimulus payment. Nowhere did I see mention of entering the $1400 as a credit on line 30, which is now due the IRS, plus interest and penalty. 

Am I missing something?

Did you add a dependent?  And you are sure you said yes you received it?  Sounds like you only entered 1400 from one of the 6475 letters instead of the total.  That's been a common problem.  Each spouse should get letter 6475 for half.  

Did not get 3rd stimulus check and got recovery rebate credit of $2,800. 

Applied to estimted tax for 2022. Then got CP10 notice from IRS and they said they found error on my 1040SR.

Married income below $150,000 and beleive I would qualify. Filling taxes for over 55 years and never had any problems. I did not pay my estimaled tax because I thought I had money in the account.

Why would Turbo Tax not know that Idid not qualify.

@haberlachl Lots of people made mistakes with the recovery rebate credit.   They somehow forgot that they already received the $1400 stimulus checks and then said on their returns that they did not get it.  So it ended up as a recovery rebate credit on line 30.  But the IRS knows if they sent it to you.   TurboTax has no way of knowing if you did or did not receive a stimulus check----it was your job to know and enter that information correctly.   The IRS checked returns with amounts on line 30.  If you already had received the $1400 per person then they reduced your refund.  You cannot get it twice.

Check your online accounts with the IRS.  If you think you did not receive the $1400 per person in 2021 you can have it traced.    Check for each spouse.

https://www.irs.gov/payments/your-online-account

If you need to trace a payment that the IRS says has been issued to you, mail or fax a completed IRS Form 3911, Taxpayer Statement Regarding Refund

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies