turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Why am I not getting the mileage deduction even after I enter the mileage?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
AlanT222
Expert Alumni

Mileage is an allowable deduction if you are self-employed or own your own business. You can choose between the standard mileage rate or the actual cost method where you keep track of what you paid for gas and maintenance.

To use the standard mileage rate, you must keep a log of each trip with miles driven during the first year your vehicle is used for business. After that, you can either go with standard mileage or actual cost (unless you lease, in which case you must stick with standard mileage for the duration of the lease).

Taxpayers can also claim mileage for medical or charitable purposes, and active-duty military can claim mileage for the move to a permanent change of station (PCS) under military orders.

Employees can no longer deduct work-related mileage in tax years 2018 through 2025 due to the Tax Cuts and Jobs Act (TCJA) that Congress signed into law on December 22, 2017. Prior to the tax law change, employees could deduct mileage for commuting between multiple job sites during the same day, as well as commutes to temporary work locations and off-site business meetings.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I know all this and I keep getting this answer from everyone.

My questions is why on the Turbo Tax software is it not giving me the deduction even when I fill in my

mileage is the correct field. It keeps saying "No deduction available".

LinaJ2020
Expert Alumni

If this is business related, I will recommend you to return to the business section of the program to double-check your answers.  Read the questions carefully to verify you qualify for the deductions.  If it is not related to business, please write back with more information. 

You might also want to:

• Check your internet connection.  Try to log out and sign back in the program. 
  • Clear your cache and sign back into the program.  To clear cache, click here: Cache
  • You may also try a different browser.  

If the issue remains unresolved, you can consider our TurboTaxLive product line to file your 2020 taxes.  Once you complete your taxes, before you file, you’ll be given the option for a final review of your return by one of our tax professionals.  This allows them to look into your return.   After they completed reviewing your return, they should be able to explain to you why you cannot take the mileage deductions.

@userkorbymatsen

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies