turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

meli4528

How can I add more than 4 other expenses under "unreimbursed expenses". This program only has 4 spaces and no way to add additional in turbotax.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

How can I add more than 4 other expenses under "unreimbursed expenses". This program only has 4 spaces and no way to add additional in turbotax.

While there are no longer employee job expenses deduction on a Federal Schedule A, there are a few states which may still allow such expenses subject to the 2% rule on the state return to potentially increase itemized deductions on the state return.  If you are in one of those states, then filling out that section in the Federal interview (Form 2106) should still flow to a Miscellaneous Itemized Deductions Worksheet that the state return may still be able to use for such expenses while the Federal return will ignore it. And also any of the other miscellaneous itemized deductions subject to 2% for which you can find entry.    Here are some known states we were recently made aware of from TurboTax.  I don't know if there are others or not.

Arkansas, California, Hawaii, Iowa, Minnesota and New York  (possibly others)

That being said, here's how to work around that issue with only 4 lines for "other expenses" in the employee job expense section.   In the desktop version, there is no such limitation, and one can keep adding more lines.  But for some reason, Online TurboTax only has 4 lines.

If you have more than 4  "other expenses" (say 6 for example), you should be able to combine two expenses in the description box and then give a total similar to this:

Uniforms $125;  Subscriptions $86                 $211
Computer repair $99;  External drive $24      $123

View solution in original post

2 Replies

Are you asking about employee job expenses?  If so, I can tell you what to do as a workaround.    I'll assume that's what you are entering, so see my answer below.

While there are no longer employee job expenses deduction on a Federal Schedule A, there are a few states which may still allow such expenses subject to the 2% rule on the state return to potentially increase itemized deductions on the state return.  If you are in one of those states, then filling out that section in the Federal interview (Form 2106) should still flow to a Miscellaneous Itemized Deductions Worksheet that the state return may still be able to use for such expenses while the Federal return will ignore it. And also any of the other miscellaneous itemized deductions subject to 2% for which you can find entry.    Here are some known states we were recently made aware of from TurboTax.  I don't know if there are others or not.

Arkansas, California, Hawaii, Iowa, Minnesota and New York  (possibly others)

That being said, here's how to work around that issue with only 4 lines for "other expenses" in the employee job expense section.   In the desktop version, there is no such limitation, and one can keep adding more lines.  But for some reason, Online TurboTax only has 4 lines.

If you have more than 4  "other expenses" (say 6 for example), you should be able to combine two expenses in the description box and then give a total similar to this:

Uniforms $125;  Subscriptions $86                 $211
Computer repair $99;  External drive $24      $123

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies