tronhaar

While on deployment I was not reimbursed for meals I was required to pay for. Can I deduct these?

I am an active duty Naval officer and I do not get reimbursed for meals while on deployment. Total cost to me approx $900.

ToddL

Generally, meals are not deductible unless they are incurred in promoting business activities (100% for employee meals, 50% for customer meals).

In your case, they are deductible as unreimbursed employee expenses, but the limitations are severe. 

First, you received BAS which is considered reimbursement for your meal expenses. 

Any remaining, unreimbursed meal costs are reported as deductions on Schedule A (assuming you itemize). Those deductions are subject to a 2% AGI limitation which means you would only see a benefit for the amount that exceeds 2% of your AGI.

The following article discusses Military Tax Deductions in greater detail, but my personal experience (30 years myself, and 6 children on active-duty - two of which are currently deployed) is that the 2% AGI limitation pretty much negates any benefit.

http://www.militaryauthority.com/benefits/finance/taxes/overlooked-military-tax-deductions.html

ToddL

Did you continue to receive BAS?
tronhaar

Yes. However the amount charged for meals totaled $220 more than what I received fin BAS for that time.
ToddL