Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Where to enter info for an HSA rollover? Not being prompted and can't find anything in TurboTax.

My company changed HSA providers from Optum to Fidelity. I rolled over my account, I see no option for reporting this. I believe I should have to fill out a 8889 but not seeing any option for this.
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
DaveF1006
Expert Alumni

Where to enter info for an HSA rollover? Not being prompted and can't find anything in TurboTax.

It depends, Here is the best way to enter your HSA rollover in Turbo Tax Online.

1. Log into Turbo Tax

2. At the top of the page, look for the search bar with the magnifying glass

3. Type in 1099-SA>jump to 1099-SA

4. Now you will answer questions regarding your 1099-HSA. You will answer the questions about distributions. At some point the program will ask you if you spent the distribution for medical purposes. You will say no to this question.

5. You will say no that you did not spend any of it for medical expenses.

6. Beneath that entry is where you will indicate that this amount was rolled over into another HSA. If the entire amount was a rollover, then you will record the full amount of the distribution. I have included a screenshot illustrating this step and what the screen should look like.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

9 Replies
dmertz
Level 15

Was this a direct trustee-to-trustee transfer where the funds were never paid to you personally?  If so, the transaction is not a rollover and is not reportable on your tax return.  It's only a rollover if the funds were paid to you and the distribution from the original HSA was reported on a Form 1099-SA.

If you received a Form 1099-SA because the distribution was paid to you, answer Yes when asked if you used the HSA to pay for anything, enter the details of the Form 1099-SA, indicate that you did not use all of the money for medical expenses, then indicate the amount used for medical expenses and the amount rolled over.  TurboTax will include on Form 8889 line 14b the amount of this distribution that you rolled over.

DaveF1006
Expert Alumni

It depends, Here is the best way to enter your HSA rollover in Turbo Tax Online.

1. Log into Turbo Tax

2. At the top of the page, look for the search bar with the magnifying glass

3. Type in 1099-SA>jump to 1099-SA

4. Now you will answer questions regarding your 1099-HSA. You will answer the questions about distributions. At some point the program will ask you if you spent the distribution for medical purposes. You will say no to this question.

5. You will say no that you did not spend any of it for medical expenses.

6. Beneath that entry is where you will indicate that this amount was rolled over into another HSA. If the entire amount was a rollover, then you will record the full amount of the distribution. I have included a screenshot illustrating this step and what the screen should look like.

@DaveF1006 For your screenshot and explanation, does that apply to trustee-to-trustee transfers for HSA?  I presume not, correct?  I just did a transfer from my old employer's HSA to new employer's HSA and my old HSA trustee says that I do not have any 1099 or any documents for 2021.  

RobertB4444
Expert Alumni

@melissaforpeace315  That answer and screenshot applies if you receive a 1099-SA for the distribution.  If it is a trustee to trustee rollover it is not reported and therefore has no requirement to be reported on your return.

Is HSA Rollover, a check deposited in the new HSA provider, a contribution? Should I report I put money in an HSA in 2021 if yes.   

dmertz
Level 15

An HSA rollover is not a new contribution.  An HSA rollover is entered into TurboTax only by entering the Form 1099-SA and indicating that you rolled the distribution over, nowhere else.

Just to clarify my question.  The rollover I said is not direct transfer from HSA to HSA, but the old HSA sent me a check, then I mailed the check within 15 days (<60 days) to the new HSA to deposit. 

So is this still counted not a contribution, right?   

Thanks in advance for all helps.

@dmertz Just to clarify my question.  The rollover I said is not direct transfer from HSA to HSA, but the old HSA sent me a check, then I mailed the check within 15 days (<60 days) to the new HSA to deposit. 

So is this still counted not a contribution, right?   

Thanks in advance for all helps.

dmertz
Level 15

It is not a personal contribution.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies