Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Where do I add my expenses of my work clothes?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
DS30

According to the IRS, you will only be allowed to deduct your work clothes/uniform if:

• the clothes are mandatory for your job and unsuitable for everyday wear (Determine which work clothes are necessary for your job but not suitable to wear outside of work. However, just buying clothes specifically for work and never wearing them at any other time isn't good enough. The IRS has accepted deductions for theatrical costumes, hard hats and other safety gear. Among the items that do not qualify are overalls, white dress shirts, and bibs even if required on the job site. For example, even though your company requires you to wear a suit each day, you cannot deduct their cost since you can wear the suits to weddings, job interviews and other occasions that don't relate to work)
  • you itemize your deductions on your return.

You would enter your uniform/work clothes in TurboTax under Federal Taxes>Deductions and Credits> I'll choose what I work on (or jump to full list)> scroll down to Employment Expenses> Job-related expenses (start/revisit/update). Use the TurboTax guide to help you enter these expense.

• Enter your occupation information
    • after about 6 to 10 question screens, you will get to a screen titled "Job-Related Expenses" you can put this information here (see screenshot)

So if your itemized deduction is below the standard deduction, TurboTax will still take the larger standard deduction on your tax return. (Please note that if you have no additional itemized deductions or your deductions will not be larger than the standard deduction, do should not upgrade to TurboTax Deluxe)

For 2015, the standard deduction starts at

$6,300 for Single,

$12,600 for Married Filing Jointly, or Qualifying Widow(er) with dependent child,

$9,250 for Head of Household,

$6,300 for Married Filing Separately

For over 65 and/or blind, add $1,250 for each instance (or add $1,550 each instance if single and not a surviving spouse).

If you are able to include additional itemized deductions (ie: for medical expenses over 10% of AGI (7% if over 65), charitable donation, unreimbursed business expenses (over 2% AGI), etc), you may be able to increase your itemized deduction to be larger than your standard deduction. TurboTax will guide you through this section and will help you take the most deductions possible based on your specific situation

For more information about the various Schedule A deductions, please refer to this link:

https://turbotax.intuit.com/tax-tools/tax-tips/Tax-Deductions-and-Credits/What-Are-Itemized-Tax-Dedu...

View solution in original post

6 Replies
DS30

According to the IRS, you will only be allowed to deduct your work clothes/uniform if:

• the clothes are mandatory for your job and unsuitable for everyday wear (Determine which work clothes are necessary for your job but not suitable to wear outside of work. However, just buying clothes specifically for work and never wearing them at any other time isn't good enough. The IRS has accepted deductions for theatrical costumes, hard hats and other safety gear. Among the items that do not qualify are overalls, white dress shirts, and bibs even if required on the job site. For example, even though your company requires you to wear a suit each day, you cannot deduct their cost since you can wear the suits to weddings, job interviews and other occasions that don't relate to work)
  • you itemize your deductions on your return.

You would enter your uniform/work clothes in TurboTax under Federal Taxes>Deductions and Credits> I'll choose what I work on (or jump to full list)> scroll down to Employment Expenses> Job-related expenses (start/revisit/update). Use the TurboTax guide to help you enter these expense.

• Enter your occupation information
    • after about 6 to 10 question screens, you will get to a screen titled "Job-Related Expenses" you can put this information here (see screenshot)

So if your itemized deduction is below the standard deduction, TurboTax will still take the larger standard deduction on your tax return. (Please note that if you have no additional itemized deductions or your deductions will not be larger than the standard deduction, do should not upgrade to TurboTax Deluxe)

For 2015, the standard deduction starts at

$6,300 for Single,

$12,600 for Married Filing Jointly, or Qualifying Widow(er) with dependent child,

$9,250 for Head of Household,

$6,300 for Married Filing Separately

For over 65 and/or blind, add $1,250 for each instance (or add $1,550 each instance if single and not a surviving spouse).

If you are able to include additional itemized deductions (ie: for medical expenses over 10% of AGI (7% if over 65), charitable donation, unreimbursed business expenses (over 2% AGI), etc), you may be able to increase your itemized deduction to be larger than your standard deduction. TurboTax will guide you through this section and will help you take the most deductions possible based on your specific situation

For more information about the various Schedule A deductions, please refer to this link:

https://turbotax.intuit.com/tax-tools/tax-tips/Tax-Deductions-and-Credits/What-Are-Itemized-Tax-Dedu...

DS30

see updated answer with screenshot

Where to enter / deduct as an expense for the SELF-EMPLOYED (SOLE PROPRIETOR)

CLOTHES bought for work in your own business?

It can't go under "Employment expenses".  That is for W2 people, correct?

In the Sch C expenses section  you can use the MISC section with a write in for uniforms  or if they have your business name on them then you can enter them in advertising.  

TomD8
Level 15

Enter the cost on Schedule C, line 27a.  But be sure the clothing meets IRS criteria to be claimed as deductible (see the first answer in this thread for details).

**Answers are correct to the best of my ability but do not constitute tax or legal advice.

Thank you.  Thank you.

I wanted to makes sure I wasn't overlooking any special area to enter it.  

Miscellaneous, it is.  

And smart indeed.... of course when it has advertising: then it could be under advertising.  

Had not thought of that yet.  

(Indeed some of the clothing happens to have the name of the business on it)

I read this article which is pretty detailed too.  

Can You Write Off Clothes For Work?

by
Sarah York, EA
Updated 
November 18, 2021
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies