turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

amtassio

Gift in Kind Donation of Design Work

I am graphic designer and illustrator and donated my services to a non-profit last year creating 4 posters with original artwork for them and all of the online marketing graphics. Does any of the work I did count for a charitable donation? Also can donations of digital intellectual/artistic property be deducted?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

When you give charitable donation, you cannot deduct anything at all for your time, skill, or expertise.  You can only deduct the out of pocket expenses you may have had for materials, etc.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
amtassio

The non-profit organization told me that these would be gift in kind donations and provided letters of receipt for all the work, but it seems that the only deductions available based on the answer would be printer ink, paper, and paint. If they had paid me and then I donated the money back to them would that be allowable?
The work consisted of original illustrations in which I gave the organization the rights to continue using for merchandise and future publication, as well as graphic design/posters marketing materials for their fundraisers, all of the items have been incorporated in to the branding for the non-profit. There are fair market values for all of the items, and they caused the organization to generate income as well as saved the organization the costs of paying someone to do it.
Had this been prearranged as a gift of property or intellectual property would the fair market value be deductible?

<a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1900316-can-i-deduct-an-in-kind-charitable-contribution">https://t...>
**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
Use your Intuit Account to sign in to TurboTax.
By selecting Sign in, you agree to our Terms and acknowledge our Privacy Statement.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies