Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

When I fill in the HSA account value, should it be the balance of HSA cash account only or the total balance of cash account and the Investment Fair Market Value?

TurboTax requested to fill out the HSA account value under the Federal Taxes/ Deductions & Credits section.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
AnnetteB6
Employee Tax Expert

When I fill in the HSA account value, should it be the balance of HSA cash account only or the total balance of cash account and the Investment Fair Market Value?

Correct.  You would count the balance of the cash account and the value of the investments.  

@Chris-C-

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

5 Replies

Where are you seeing that question ?   That question is usually for an IRA  not an HSA.  

BillM223
Expert Alumni

Please enter the total cash value of the HSA. This means convert any investments into their current cash value.

This question is asked when the taxpayer has an excess HSA contribution that is carried over to the next year. The penalty is 6% of the amount of the excess carried over or the value of the HSA, whichever is less.

The question is under the Federal Taxes/ Deductions & credits section.

Hi Mr. Bill,

So that means the total balance of cash account & the Investment Fair Market Value showed on the statement, correct? 

AnnetteB6
Employee Tax Expert

Correct.  You would count the balance of the cash account and the value of the investments.  

@Chris-C-

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies