Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

sethm123

When can I use the capital gains exemption for a home sale again if I sold a house in August 2015?

I sold a house on Aug 2015 that I had lived in from 2003-2007. On my 2015 returns, I  claimed the capital gains exemption under IRS Publication 523 with the Service suspension as I was PCS'ed abroad from 2007-2013. I am now looking to sell my primary residence (2013-present) but would like to know when the soonest I could do so and still claim this exemption. I pass the residency test, but the look-back test verbiage has me a bit uncertain on what the 2 year window would be. Thanks. 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
DS30

When can I use the capital gains exemption for a home sale again if I sold a house in August 2015?

You only have to live in the home for the 2 year period in order to claim the home gain exclusion. So if you sold your last home Aug 2015, you would be able to claim the exclusion again Aug 2017 (2 full years later).

See Sale of Your Home for more information on the exclusion.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
DS30

You only have to live in the home for the 2 year period in order to claim the home gain exclusion. So if you sold your last home Aug 2015, you would be able to claim the exclusion again Aug 2017 (2 full years later).

See Sale of Your Home for more information on the exclusion.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies