Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

What is special depreciation allowance

I didn't choose this and I am not sure what it means?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Many items over $200 are depreciated over a number of years as "Assets".  The Special Depreciation Allowance gives you 50% of that deduction in the first year, then the other 50% is depreciated as usual.  [EDIT:  Starting September 28th, 2017, the Special Depreciation Allowance has changed to 100%.]

It is an automatic thing.  You need to specifically elect OUT of it if you do not want it.

View solution in original post

28 Replies

special depreciation allowance

where will i find it

Can I deduct loan origination fees

Many items over $200 are depreciated over a number of years as "Assets".  The Special Depreciation Allowance gives you 50% of that deduction in the first year, then the other 50% is depreciated as usual.  [EDIT:  Starting September 28th, 2017, the Special Depreciation Allowance has changed to 100%.]

It is an automatic thing.  You need to specifically elect OUT of it if you do not want it.

I'm trying to figure out if I should elect out.  My gross income is over $150K, and I don't seem to benefit from any rental losses.  Should I still take the special depreciation allowance, or should I opt out, seeing as how it did not benefit me in any way?  I actually plan on selling the house in 2016.  If I opt out of the Special Depreciation Allowance, does that help me or hurt me when I sell the house?
bcpA

I have the same question as the first commenter to the original post.
bcpA

I have the same question as the first commenter to the original post.
ttdang

I don't see the option to elect OUT in the step by step in TT business 2018. Updated to the latest still don't see this.
Christa

When  providing information for a rental property purchased in 2017, TurboTax would not accept ‘no’ for an answer when offering the special assessment of 50% depreciation for 2017 and 50% for 2018.   I  was assured by a representative that despite having to choose that option, the property would still depreciate for 27 1/2 years.     That didn’t make sense, but sounded good.   Now this year (I filed for an extension for 2018 taxes and am working on them now), I don’t see that ‘second year promise’.   I’m unable to speak to a representative about this – only automated responses are available to me on the phone.   Has anyone experienced the same situation?

Phone support is not provided with the Free Edition.  If you are using a paid version of the software or if you purchased PLUS you can get phone support when customer support is there.  Otherwise, post your question here and someone will try to help.

To call TurboTax customer support

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1899263-what-is-the-turbotax-phone-number

They are available from 5 a.m. to 5 p.m. Pacific time Monday - Friday.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
Christa

Last year when filing 2017 tax, the system did not allow me opt out either.  I’m disappointed by the lack of choice.  I wish I could help.  Instead I can only commiserate.  

Rabbits01

What is the "Special Depreciation Allowance"? 

Thank you!

Richard O'Leary

BillM223
Expert Alumni

@Rabbits01

As TaxGuyBill wrote above:

"Many items over $200 are depreciated over a number of years as "Assets".  The Special Depreciation Allowance gives you 50% of that deduction in the first year, then the other 50% is depreciated as usual.  Starting September 28th, 2017, the Special Depreciation Allowance was changed to 100%.

It is an automatic thing.  You need to specifically elect OUT of it if you do not want it."

Do you have an additional question about this?

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

What is the advantage or disadvantages of opting out of the special depreciation allowance. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies