turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

grober3

Dealing with my HSA, TurboTax keeps mysteriously and erroneously concluding that my spouse had a break in his CDHP? Any idea how to set Turbotax straight?

I cannot figure out where this mistaken information is coming from, so I can't correct it.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Dealing with my HSA, TurboTax keeps mysteriously and erroneously concluding that my spouse had a break in his CDHP? Any idea how to set Turbotax straight?

What I suspect happened is that your spouse does not have his own HSA, just shares your HDHP coverage. As a result, you never answered questions about his HSA (because he doesn't have one) to tell TurboTax the months that he had HDHP coverage in 2017.

At the end of the HSA interview, TurboTax needs to ask "Was [his name] covered by a High Deductible Health Plan (HDHP) in 2016?" to find out if he took advantage of the "last-month" rule in 2016. The last-month rule allows a taxpayer to use the full annual HSA contribution limit, even if the taxpayer was not in the HDHP all year.

When you answered either "Family" or "Self" to that question above and TurboTax did see that you had not shown his coverage for 2017, the TurboTax assumed that he had a break in coverage.

Your solution is to just go back to that question and answer "None" if your spouse at no time in 2016 had an HSA and/or made no contributions to it. That way, the error message will be skipped and you can continue with your return. 

View solution in original post

1 Reply

What I suspect happened is that your spouse does not have his own HSA, just shares your HDHP coverage. As a result, you never answered questions about his HSA (because he doesn't have one) to tell TurboTax the months that he had HDHP coverage in 2017.

At the end of the HSA interview, TurboTax needs to ask "Was [his name] covered by a High Deductible Health Plan (HDHP) in 2016?" to find out if he took advantage of the "last-month" rule in 2016. The last-month rule allows a taxpayer to use the full annual HSA contribution limit, even if the taxpayer was not in the HDHP all year.

When you answered either "Family" or "Self" to that question above and TurboTax did see that you had not shown his coverage for 2017, the TurboTax assumed that he had a break in coverage.

Your solution is to just go back to that question and answer "None" if your spouse at no time in 2016 had an HSA and/or made no contributions to it. That way, the error message will be skipped and you can continue with your return. 

Use your Intuit Account to sign in to TurboTax.
By selecting Sign in, you agree to our Terms and acknowledge our Privacy Statement.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies