turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

What form is used to claim a deduction for a Scam? I could not seem to use Achedule A, 1040.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies

What form is used to claim a deduction for a Scam? I could not seem to use Achedule A, 1040.

Sorry but the Tax Cuts and Jobs Act eliminated that type of deduction for 2018-2015.

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**

The Scam or Theft was for $50k plus.  It was reported to the FBI, who sent us to IC3 Crime Complaint Center.

No action taken.  I have the copy of the complaint, and all necessary backup.  Does this change your answer, or change the tax deduction?   Thank you fro your reply.

See IRS Pub 547, pagr]e 5

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p529.pdf
Theft loss deduction limited. For tax years
2018 through 2025, if you are an individual,
casualty and theft losses of personal-use property
are deductible only if the losses are attribut-

able to a federally declared disaster (federal
casualty loss).

However, if this is a loss from Ponzi type investment schemes then it might be deductible, again refer to page 5.

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies