turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

emooredvm

What are the rules for deducting the cost of a hot tub? Can it be deducted as a medical expense if my wife and I have back and knee arthritis and be are over 65?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
IsabellaG
Employee Tax Expert

What are the rules for deducting the cost of a hot tub? Can it be deducted as a medical expense if my wife and I have back and knee arthritis and be are over 65?

Yes, if water therapy is prescribed by your physician to treat a medical condition. If the hot tub is a permanent addition to your home, and increases the value of the home, you would have to reduce the deduction by the amount of the increase in value. See page 6 of IRS Publication 502.

See the answer below for additional information: https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/5740214

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

3 Replies

Was it prescribed by a doctor?
♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥ ¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
emooredvm

Not yet, but I can see if he will write one. Should it be on a prescription form or in a signed letter?
IsabellaG
Employee Tax Expert

Yes, if water therapy is prescribed by your physician to treat a medical condition. If the hot tub is a permanent addition to your home, and increases the value of the home, you would have to reduce the deduction by the amount of the increase in value. See page 6 of IRS Publication 502.

See the answer below for additional information: https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/5740214

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies