emooredvm

What are the rules for deducting the cost of a hot tub? Can it be deducted as a medical expense if my wife and I have back and knee arthritis and be are over 65?

IsabellaG

Yes, if water therapy is prescribed by your physician to treat a medical condition. If the hot tub is a permanent addition to your home, and increases the value of the home, you would have to reduce the deduction by the amount of the increase in value. See page 6 of IRS Publication 502.

See the answer below for additional information: https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/5740214

Lisa995

Was it prescribed by a doctor?
♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥ ¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
emooredvm

Not yet, but I can see if he will write one. Should it be on a prescription form or in a signed letter?
IsabellaG