turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

We own a small amount of cattle. One of our cows had trouble calving this year, we had three separate vet visits and then both cow and calf died. Where would I list the $ for vet and can I write off the cattle loss?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply

We own a small amount of cattle. One of our cows had trouble calving this year, we had three separate vet visits and then both cow and calf died. Where would I list the $ for vet and can I write off the cattle loss?

Ouch! That's what I call a wreck on our place.

If you are operating a for-profit farm business, the veterinary cost is expensed under Common farming expenses,----Veterinary, Breeding, Medicine.

The calf is just a loss, one less calf to sell. Same with the cow if you raised her from birth. No write off.

If you purchased the cow, she should already be in your Asset Summary. You would Edit this asset to report the sale of the cow for $0.

If you itemize on schedule A and operate as a Hobby Farm, you can enter your income and expenses in the Hobby Income and Expense section. This way you would not have to upgrade to Self Employed version. See page snip below;

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies