Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Vacation Timeshare Points

Purchased  points in vacation club (similar to timeshare) no physical ownership just paying for vacation weeks using points. Had points I couldn't use - rented two weeks - not quite "rental property" but rental points. Would it be handled the same way? Could I deduct any maintenance fees or just admin fees to rent the points? Also, due to health reasons, handed back the points to company - would that be reported as a "sale" and if so how do I reflect the fees they collected to "transition"?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
ErnieS0
Expert Alumni

Yes, report your income and deductions. Since this was not your residence, you can’t take advantage of the IRS rule that exempts income received from renting a dwelling used as a residence and rented for fewer than 15 days.

Topic No. 415 Renting Residential and Vacation Property

If I understand your question correctly, you received additional points rather than cash from renting. In that case, your income would be the value of the points you received.

You can prorate your expenses. If the maintenance and administrative fees were only for the two weeks, they can be deducted in full.

As for the giving back of points, we’d have to know more about the arrangements. Timeshares are considered personal property so generally you would not be able to deduct a loss from surrendering points.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thanks, sorry for delay in replying been really busy. Put the income in Other Miscellaneous Income Summary - Description: Sale of Vacation points with net proceeds. Seemed like the best fit.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies