Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Ask the Experts All About the Refund! >> Event happening NOW!!!!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

mayer6379

Is there somewhere I can plug in itemized deductions to see if I will be able to itemize 2018?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Is there somewhere I can plug in itemized deductions to see if I will be able to itemize 2018?

Use the TurboTax calculator TaxCaster as it has the 2018 tax code in the application - https://turbotax.intuit.com/tax-tools/calculators/taxcaster/

Note that based on your filing status your Total Itemized Deductions must be greater than the Standard Deduction to have any tax benefit.

Standard deductions for 2018 

• Single - $12,000 add $1,600 if age 65 or older
  • Married Filing Separately - $12,000 add $1,300 if age 65 or older
  • Married Filing Jointly - $24,000 add $1,300 for each spouse age 65 or older
  • Head of Household - $18,000 add $1,600 if age 65 or older

View solution in original post

5 Replies

Use the TurboTax calculator TaxCaster as it has the 2018 tax code in the application - https://turbotax.intuit.com/tax-tools/calculators/taxcaster/

Note that based on your filing status your Total Itemized Deductions must be greater than the Standard Deduction to have any tax benefit.

Standard deductions for 2018 

• Single - $12,000 add $1,600 if age 65 or older
  • Married Filing Separately - $12,000 add $1,300 if age 65 or older
  • Married Filing Jointly - $24,000 add $1,300 for each spouse age 65 or older
  • Head of Household - $18,000 add $1,600 if age 65 or older

Can you just add them up on a sheet of paper and see if they will be more than the Standard Deduction listed above?  But there are changes to deductions.  Like no more job expenses.  FAQ on 2018 changes <a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/4482394-how-will-tax-reform-affect-my-2018-federal-tax-return">htt...>
mayer6379

There are calculations that need to be made so looking to plug numbers and have calculate just like as doing a return
mayer6379

answer above not helpful as recommend but not help button
mayer6379

taxcaster sound good but useless
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies