Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Can I deduct the purchase price of land if it was bought and set up under forestry for the purpose of growing and selling timber? where do I put the cost of the land?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
PatriciaV
Employee Tax Expert

Can I deduct the purchase price of land if it was bought and set up under forestry for the purpose of growing and selling timber? where do I put the cost of the land?

Unfortunately, you receive no immediate deduction for purchasing land, even if you plan to use it for business. 

The cost of land purchased for investment becomes your basis in the property, which is a capital asset. Land is not depreciated, so you receive no depreciation or other deductions over the time you own the property. If you sell the land in the future, your basis will reduce the capital gain you might realize if the selling price is more than your purchase cost.

However, if you sell timber that was growing on the land when you purchased it, your basis in the investment will be reduced by the Fair Market Value of the timber at the time of the sale. Any timber you plant and grow would have a cost basis separate from the original land.

See also: National Timber Tax Website Determine Your Basis

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

3 Replies
PatriciaV
Employee Tax Expert

Did you sell the land in 2017?

No I bought it for forestry land in 2017.
PatriciaV
Employee Tax Expert

Unfortunately, you receive no immediate deduction for purchasing land, even if you plan to use it for business. 

The cost of land purchased for investment becomes your basis in the property, which is a capital asset. Land is not depreciated, so you receive no depreciation or other deductions over the time you own the property. If you sell the land in the future, your basis will reduce the capital gain you might realize if the selling price is more than your purchase cost.

However, if you sell timber that was growing on the land when you purchased it, your basis in the investment will be reduced by the Fair Market Value of the timber at the time of the sale. Any timber you plant and grow would have a cost basis separate from the original land.

See also: National Timber Tax Website Determine Your Basis

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies