Solved: Unable to change or edit my property taxes. It was previously saved as $0.0 and I'm unable to update. Field is not editable on TurboTax Premier 2017

michael3304

Unable to change or edit my property taxes. It was previously saved as $0.0 and I'm unable to update. Field is not editable on TurboTax Premier 2017

The property taxes (real estate taxes) field is not editable in Mac version of Turbotax Premier. How do I correct an entry?

KrisD

To update the property tax you paid: 

Sign into your account, and click Take Me to My Return

Click Federal on the left side-bar

Click Deductions & Credits along the top

Scroll Down to Property (Real Estate) Taxes and click Start or Revisit

You can also go into forms:

• Change from step-by-step to forms located on the top right of the screen
  • Click on schedule A on the left side-bar
  • Click into line 6 to make the magnifying glass appear
  • Click the magnifying glass to go to the supporting form (please see screenshot)
  • In the blue box on line 2a of the Tax & Interest worksheet you can enter the amount you paid (please see screenshot) (clicking on the "plus sign" allows you to make several entries, for example if you had more than one home)
  • Click on "Close Form" for that form (located below the worksheet)
  • The amount you entered on the worksheet will flow to the schedule A (please see screenshot) 

[Edited 03.19.18 |4:00PM]

KrisD

To update the property tax you paid: 

Click Federal on the left side-bar

You can also go into forms:

[Edited 03.19.18 |4:00PM]

michael3304

The box for entry show $0.0 and is not editable when I select Update.
KrisD

Did you enter a 1098? Did it report home mortgage interest and property tax?
michael3304

No. I don't have a mortgage
KrisD

Please try using the forms mode. Navigation is listed in original answer.
michael3304

Schedule A is not editable in forms mode.
KrisD

No it isn't. As I said, you need to click on line 6 of schedule A to get the magnifying glass and then use that to get to the worksheet to make the edit
michael3304

There is no magnifying glass when I click anywhere on Line 6 of Schedule A
michael3304

The issue may be unique to Mac version of TurboTax Premier. Any other suggestions?
MichaelL1

Ok I have a Mac and one way to change is the Easy Step and go to Deductions and Credits under Your Home and Update the Property Tax and change it there.  I will do it on forms also and post that answer
MichaelL1

to do this in the Forms Mode go the Tax and Int Wks and go to line 2a and Edit that line.
michael3304

That line is not editable either
MichaelL1

You are on a Mac and line 2a under Real Estate taxes should be in Blue, and if personal property taxes, line 3a should be in Blue and both can be changed if in blue
KrisD

I would suggest you update the software to see if that helps.  <a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/3301964">https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/3301964</a> AND as I said, in windows I needed to click in the blue box to get that magnifying glass, not sure what the equivalent to that is on a MAC.