turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Unable to change or edit my property taxes. It was previously saved as $0.0 and I'm unable to update. Field is not editable on TurboTax Premier 2017

The property taxes (real estate taxes) field is not editable in Mac version of Turbotax Premier. How do I correct an entry?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
KrisD
Intuit Alumni

Unable to change or edit my property taxes. It was previously saved as $0.0 and I'm unable to update. Field is not editable on TurboTax Premier 2017

To update the property tax you paid: 

Sign into your account, and click Take Me to My Return

Click Federal on the left side-bar

Click Deductions & Credits along the top

Scroll Down to Property (Real Estate) Taxes and click Start or Revisit

You can also go into forms:

• Change from step-by-step to forms located on the top right of the screen
  • Click on schedule A on the left side-bar
  • Click into line 6 to make the magnifying glass appear
  • Click the magnifying glass to go to the supporting form (please see screenshot)
  • In the blue box on line 2a of the Tax & Interest worksheet you can enter the amount you paid (please see screenshot) (clicking on the "plus sign" allows you to make several entries, for example if you had more than one home)
  • Click on "Close Form" for that form (located below the worksheet)
  • The amount you entered on the worksheet will flow to the schedule A (please see screenshot) 

[Edited 03.19.18 |4:00PM]

View solution in original post

21 Replies
KrisD
Intuit Alumni

To update the property tax you paid: 

Sign into your account, and click Take Me to My Return

Click Federal on the left side-bar

Click Deductions & Credits along the top

Scroll Down to Property (Real Estate) Taxes and click Start or Revisit

You can also go into forms:

• Change from step-by-step to forms located on the top right of the screen
  • Click on schedule A on the left side-bar
  • Click into line 6 to make the magnifying glass appear
  • Click the magnifying glass to go to the supporting form (please see screenshot)
  • In the blue box on line 2a of the Tax & Interest worksheet you can enter the amount you paid (please see screenshot) (clicking on the "plus sign" allows you to make several entries, for example if you had more than one home)
  • Click on "Close Form" for that form (located below the worksheet)
  • The amount you entered on the worksheet will flow to the schedule A (please see screenshot) 

[Edited 03.19.18 |4:00PM]

The box for entry show $0.0 and is not editable when I select Update.
KrisD
Intuit Alumni

Did you enter a 1098? Did it report home mortgage interest and property tax?

No. I don't have a mortgage
KrisD
Intuit Alumni

Please try using the forms mode. Navigation is listed in original answer.

Schedule A is not editable in forms mode.
KrisD
Intuit Alumni

No it isn't. As I said, you need to click on line 6 of schedule A to get the magnifying glass and then use that to get to the worksheet to make the edit

There is no magnifying glass when I click anywhere on Line 6 of Schedule A

The issue may be unique to Mac version of TurboTax Premier. Any other suggestions?

Ok I have a Mac and one way to change is the Easy Step and go to Deductions and Credits under Your Home and Update the Property Tax and change it there.  I will do it on forms also and post that answer

to do this in the Forms Mode go the Tax and Int Wks and go to line 2a and Edit that line.

That line is not editable either

You are on a Mac and line 2a under Real Estate taxes should be in Blue, and if personal property taxes, line 3a should be in Blue and both can be changed if in blue
KrisD
Intuit Alumni

I would suggest you update the software to see if that helps.  <a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/3301964">https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/3301964</a> AND as I said, in windows I needed to click in the blue box to get that magnifying glass, not sure what the equivalent to that is on a MAC.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies