jaredpoulsen

Turbotax says earned income less than what it actually is and says I have roth ira overcontribution

Hi there,

I earned roughly $1,300 in 2020. I contributed 2000 to my roth IRA, and had to do an excess removal of 700+gains. I am filing my taxes in which my income totals up to around 1,323. However when I go to the Roth IRA section and say that I contributed 2,000, Turbotax says I only made 1,245 in earned income.

What should I do? I earned over 1,300. Please help

Please spell out the types and amounts of earned income that you had.

jaredpoulsen

2 types of income -- self employed, of which I made $1097 (pre-tax), and the other was a job which I got a W2 for, in which I made $226 pre-tax and about $208 after medicare and social security taxes were taken out. @SweetieJean 

LoRaMama

I would like to know this too. I earned $7200 consulting and contributed $7000

But turbotax says I earned $6691

where are they getting this number?

same thing happened to me when i used to do my son's taxes and they would say he earned less than he earned.

and they DO NOT EXPLAIN IT!!