Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I did not inherit hsa account from spouse should i answer yes to that question. It states answer no if inherited from spouse.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

I did not inherit hsa account from spouse should i answer yes to that question. It states answer no if inherited from spouse.

TurboTax does ask if you inherited the HSA.  You either inherited the HSA or you didn’t.  So, if you didn’t inherit the HSA you should answer No.

Generally speaking, if you inherit the HSA, you would answer Yes.  However, if you inherit from your spouse you would answer No.  (Confusing, but spouses are excepted.)

To sum up:  if you don’t inherit the HSA, you answer No If you inherit from your spouse, you answer NoYou only answer Yes if you inherit from someone other than your spouse.

UPDATE: after re-reading the original question and response, I realize I was misreading and that "from a spouse" was the key difference. Disregard my reply below.

To add context, this particular question is confusing because the question is "Did <user> inherit this HSA?" You would think, if you did not inherit the HSA, you would answer "No."

However, the detail message below that says: "It's not common, but we have to check. If you inherited this HSA from a spouse, answer No."

So the two seem to conflict one another.

Screenshot 2023-02-19 at 2.05.02 PM.png

Granted, this question was asked four years ago, so maybe this is a new wording issue.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies