Solved: Turbotax 2017 is erroneously calculating the medical deduction based on the expired 2016 rules.

Turbotax 2017 is erroneously calculating the medical deduction based on the expired 2016 rules.

By the time filing is allowed, all the forms and calculations will be fixed.  Each form must be reviewed and approved by the IRS before filing is allowed.  (If you tried to file now, the printed form would say "Form not Final: Do not File.")

The software has not yet been finalized for tax year 2017.  There will be several updates to the software before it is final.

Of course, that negates the purchase in 2017.  Someone screwed up by putting 2016 tax rules in the 2017 draft.  There is no excuse and makes the program unusable for tax planning purposes for any December 2017 decisions

The supervisors agree with me but it remains questionable if anything will be done before 2018

The only reason the program is released as early as it is is to grab market share.  I would be interested to know if TaxAct or HRB are perfect from version 1.0.

Also, I believe that one of the tax plans working through congress temporarily restores the 7.5% rule, so any change that applied the law as written as of today might need to be changed again next week.

If you buy the desktop version you can make manual overrides to the worksheets.

I can manually override, most people don’t know how.  It is extremely questionable that any new tax bill would be retroactive and any draft should only reflect what is known. Actually, the print out form does show the current law, the forms view which is calculated uses the 2016 form with a 2017 date.  It is a screw up, there is no excuse.