Turbo Tax not calculating Medical Deduction Correc...

Turbo Tax not calculating Medical Deduction Correctly

I have a total of $14,193 in medical expenses for 2019, but the Turbo Tax number shows up as $20,446.

How can I override that so I'm reporting the correct amount?

Check to see if medical insurance premiums were entered automatically by TurboTax and then again by you.  TurboTax will automatically add medical insurance premiums reported on SSA-1099 (Medicare) and also will add any self-employed health insurance premiums that are not eligible for the "self-employed health insurance" deduction (i.e., that exceed your self-employed income).  Also, if you had to repay Advance Premium Tax Credit in 2019, that additional amount for health insurance may be added to your medical expenses.

Otherwise, check your entries in the Medical section of deductions and credits.

Did you happen to receive Social Security benefits with Medicare deducted?  If so, the amount deducted from your SS flows over to medical expenses when you enter your SSA1099.

Thank you!  It was the Medicare premiums deducted from Social Security that made up the difference!

Thank you for the reply - and yes, it was the Medicare premiums deducted from the Social Security that made up the difference!  I forgot about those.

you are welcome!

So just want to make sure, if I have to replay back all the advanced Premium tax credits for the Marketplace insurance, as a self-employed individual, I can then take the total annual premium and deduct it as a business deduction?

@memes homestead farm wrote:

Yes.  However, don't enter it.   After entering (or editing) your 1095-A, check the self employed box.  The program should put the proper deduction where it belongs.

the deduction appears on schedule 1 line 16

Thanks that is what I did, schedule 1 line 16 but wanted to check.