Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Turbo tax is saying I've maxed out my $5000 Federal deduction for the Property Tax deduction, but the sum of all my property tax is less than $5000. Why?

Married filing separately (so $5k is the limit) and I have $3312 in real estate taxes and $579 in car registration fees. It's not even counting the car registration fees because it's saying I already maxed out.
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

Turbo tax is saying I've maxed out my $5000 Federal deduction for the Property Tax deduction, but the sum of all my property tax is less than $5000. Why?

It includes your state withholding on W2 and any 1099 forms.  And if you paid a state tax due in 2023 like on your 2022 state return.  

Vanessa A
Expert Alumni

It includes your state and local income taxes as well as your state and local property taxes.  So when you entered your W-2, the state and local withholdings were automatically transferred to your itemized deductions. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies