Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

This keeps coming up when I go to file?? I did not sell a car.Schedule C (apparel retail sales) -- Car & Truck Expenses Worksheet (chevy sonic): Date sold must be entered

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies
GiseleD
Expert Alumni

This keeps coming up when I go to file?? I did not sell a car.Schedule C (apparel retail sales) -- Car & Truck Expenses Worksheet (chevy sonic): Date sold must be entered

It sounds like you may have accidentally indicated that you sold a vehicle during the vehicle portion of your interview. May I recommend that you review your vehicle entries? Here’s how to do this in TurboTax Online:

1. Under Income & Expenses (tab at the top of your screen), click Review next to Self-employment income and expenses.

2. Click Review again next to the specific self-employed activity and scroll down to the Expenses category.

3. Click Review next to the Vehicle section. Review all of your entries very closely.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I have the same problem. Using TurboTax Home & Business, one self-employed business, began the business in 2019. Used the car 95% for personal use, and only 5% for business use. Filing only for business mileage at standard rate and $8 of parking fees. Started using the vehicle for work 3/5/19. "I stopped using this vehicle in 2019" is NOT checked. 

Sorry; clicked Post too soon.  To continue: 

Yes, I own the vehicle. Yes, available for personal use. No, no other vehicle. Yes, tracked work miles. No, did not track personal miles. Total mileage, 10,000, business miles 831. Vehicles used 0-4. Standard mileage deduction. "Other expenses" is just the $8 parking fees. $490 vehicle deduction. That's everything for the vehicle. But when I do a Smark Check for federal taxes, it asks for depreciation allowed or allowable (I enter zero; too small to bother with), and then insists I give a date sold. How do I convince TurboTax I did NOT sell this vehicle? 

JohnB5677
Expert Alumni

I'm not sure what happened, but I just posted exactly what you had.  Got the $490, and the depreciation form was properly calculated.

I would suggest that you go back to your

1. BUSINESS expenses
  2. Business Vehicle Expense [UPDATE}
  3. Now select [Delete]
  4. Confirm the deletion
  5. Post the vehicle again
**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies