turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I have a RV loan. I know the interest is tax deductible. My bank does not create 1098s for RV loans, but shows YTD interest on my December statement. Will that work?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
bcsm1999

I have a RV loan. I know the interest is tax deductible. My bank does not create 1098s for RV loans, but shows YTD interest on my December statement. Will that work?

This amount should work. You can also call your bank where you have your loan at and request a statement of interest paid for 2015 for this loan.

View solution in original post

9 Replies
bcsm1999

This amount should work. You can also call your bank where you have your loan at and request a statement of interest paid for 2015 for this loan.

When I asked about the 1098, they advised that my year-end statement with the YTD interest is all they provide.
bcsm1999

That should be fine.

Thanks!
semmons0

For 2018, TT does not allow you to enter the interest paid on a bank loan for an RV (as a second home). It will only accept a 1098, (which the bank doesn't provide) OR the seller's address and SSN or EIN as if it is a seller-financed loan which it is not.  I can't find any way around this TT just won't let me enter it. Please someone help.

Unless you have major deductions to where your itemization is going to be more than the new standard deduction or this is a business deduction I wouldn't even worry with it.
Anderk01

That totally does not answer the question. Based on the question I automatically assume he DOES have major deductions. So what is the answer then?

Looking for the answer to this as well. It doesn’t make a difference for my federal taxes, but it does for state. Can I enter the interest from December statement as if I was issued a 1098?

DaveF1006
Expert Alumni

Yes, you may enter December's statement information to  report RV interest loan payment without a 1098. You will enter the information as if you have a 1098.  You will need  information such as outstanding loan value, origination date of the loan, etc. Your bank should have that information listed in the statement.

There will be terms in the program asking for mortgage paid, outstanding mortgage principle, and mortgage origination date.  in the case of a RV loan, the terms mortgage and loan are used interchangeably in reporting this information.  

@Jeanetterainey 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies