turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

trennikat

The system is saying that I have 350 in contributions to my HSA. I contacted them and I do not have anything that I can withdrawl. Should I ignore that message?

I switched employers in Sept. of last year. The system informed me that I had $350 in excess that needed to be withdrawn or I would receive a tax penalty. However, when I called the HSA to inquire about the excess money I was informed that I do not have funds that can be withdrawn. 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

The system is saying that I have 350 in contributions to my HSA. I contacted them and I do not have anything that I can withdrawl. Should I ignore that message?

If I understand you correctly, you switched from an employer who provided you with coverage in an HDHP (High Deductible Health Plan) to an employer who did not provide such coverage. In TurboTax when you entered the number of months you had HDHP coverage, if it was not for the whole year then your annual HSA contribution limit is reduced. 

OK so far?

You are saying that TurboTax is reporting an excess contribution of $350, which is certainly possible in this situation.

In your case, I assume that the HSA value on December 31 of your current tax year was zero. The system will assess a 6% excise tax on the lesser of (1) your excess contribution amount carried over or (2) the value of your HSA on December 31 of your current tax year.

If your HSA value is now zero, your penalty will also be zero.

If you ever qualify for an HSA again (that is, get HDHP coverage), then the carryover will be applied to that first year. It will be as if you made a personal contribution of $350. Remember, to allow for this when you are making HSA contributions again in that first year.

[Edited 3/17/2020 3:57 pm - made year neutral]

View solution in original post

2 Replies

If I understand you correctly, you switched from an employer who provided you with coverage in an HDHP (High Deductible Health Plan) to an employer who did not provide such coverage. In TurboTax when you entered the number of months you had HDHP coverage, if it was not for the whole year then your annual HSA contribution limit is reduced. 

OK so far?

You are saying that TurboTax is reporting an excess contribution of $350, which is certainly possible in this situation.

In your case, I assume that the HSA value on December 31 of your current tax year was zero. The system will assess a 6% excise tax on the lesser of (1) your excess contribution amount carried over or (2) the value of your HSA on December 31 of your current tax year.

If your HSA value is now zero, your penalty will also be zero.

If you ever qualify for an HSA again (that is, get HDHP coverage), then the carryover will be applied to that first year. It will be as if you made a personal contribution of $350. Remember, to allow for this when you are making HSA contributions again in that first year.

[Edited 3/17/2020 3:57 pm - made year neutral]

trennikat

Thank you.
Use your Intuit Account to sign in to TurboTax.
By selecting Sign in, you agree to our Terms and acknowledge our Privacy Statement.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies