Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

The irs said that my refund has been frozen because of my earned income tax credit why would that be?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies
HelenaC

The irs said that my refund has been frozen because of my earned income tax credit why would that be?

President Obama and congress passed a new law, in 2015,that allows the IRS to hold tax refunds that include Earned Income Tax Credit and Additional Child Tax Credit until February 15, 2017—with the week of February 27 being the earliest they expect those refunds to be available in taxpayers’ bank accounts or debit cards.

This law, Protecting Americans from Tax Hikes (PATH) Act of 2015, helps detect and prevent tax fraud, and the delay in refunds allows the IRS to make sure taxpayers are claiming the credits properly and given what they’re owed.

Most taxpayers won’t be impacted by this and the IRS expects that the majority of tax refunds (more than 9 out of 10) will be issued in 21 days or less from acceptance.

The IRS encourages taxpayers to file as soon as possible regardless of their tax prep method, or if claiming Earned Income Tax Credit or the Additional Child Tax Credit since they’ll still begin accepting and processing tax returns once they’re received.

To track your refund, go to the IRS Where’s My Refund? site.

Related Information:

The IRS said that my refund tax was frozen and I owe 3100 for some reason but i never owed before i went through a different company last year and i never got them back last year. I've never had a problem before until now

@Cheyroden22 

" i went through a different company last year "

But you want help from TurboTax?  

(what the letters from the IRS mean)

I GOT A LETTER FROM THE IRS   

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/3605673-i-got-a-letter-or-notice-from-the-irs

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
Jcook1975

Same thing happened with me except it said $791 and it froze $12,000 return until I agreed to it but I signed it and it's supposed to be released within 30 days.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies