turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I got a 10k loan from my credit union for a home remodel. Am I able to write it off on my taxes?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

I got a 10k loan from my credit union for a home remodel. Am I able to write it off on my taxes?

The interest on the loan MIGHT be deductible if the loan is characterized as a second mortgage and secured by your home the way a primary mortgage would be. If it's just a personal loan and not specifically filed as secured by the homw it is not deductible.

Remodeling expenses are also not currently deductible. You might want to save a record of them, however, as they might be used to adjust the "cost" of your home when you eventually sell it and compute a gain on sale. However, don't sweat it if you don't accurately capture all remodeling expenses: most folks who sell their own home are exempt from tax on any gain anyway.

View solution in original post

1 Reply

The interest on the loan MIGHT be deductible if the loan is characterized as a second mortgage and secured by your home the way a primary mortgage would be. If it's just a personal loan and not specifically filed as secured by the homw it is not deductible.

Remodeling expenses are also not currently deductible. You might want to save a record of them, however, as they might be used to adjust the "cost" of your home when you eventually sell it and compute a gain on sale. However, don't sweat it if you don't accurately capture all remodeling expenses: most folks who sell their own home are exempt from tax on any gain anyway.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies