Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

The 2020 Child Tax Credit and disabled adult children

I am circling back on the 2020 child tax credit to see if more information has changed things.

The Child Tax Credit 2020 goes up to age 24 for completely disabled children.

My completely disabled daughter turned 25 on September 25, 2020.

I do take her as a dependent on my taxes. She was 24 for 9 months of 2020. Will I qualify for additional support? 
what amount should I expect?

will I automatically get monthly payments?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies

https://www.irs.gov/credits-deductions/2021-child-tax-credit-and-advance-child-tax-credit-payments-t...

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

A8. To see if you’re eligible for advance payments, use the Advance Child Tax Credit Eligibility Assistant

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

@Scnetside  

Although I provided a link for the child tax credit for you, I suspect you are confusing the child tax credit with earned income credit.    Under the tax laws for 2020 and prior years you lost the child tax credit when your child turned 17, with no exceptions --- not even for disabled children.   The new child tax credit allows parents to get the CTC for qualifying children up to age 18.  It says nothing about providing payments for disabled children older than 18.

It is possible for you to continue to claim your disabled child as a dependent, and you might still get earned income credit for claiming her,  at least for 2020.  The earned income credit has been expanded for 2021 ----all of the guidelines are still a bit unclear.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/credits-and-deductions/help/what-is-a-qualifying-child-for-the-ear...

Hal_Al
Level 15

@Scnetside   said "The Child Tax Credit 2020 goes up to age 24 for completely disabled children".

No. That's not true.  Only children under 17, regardless of disability status, qualify for the child tax credit, for 2020.  The new rule is under 18 for 2021. 

The age 24 rule is only for dependency and the Earned Income Credit (EIC) and applies to full time students.

A child's disability doesn't affect tax filing until he turns 19 (24 if a full time student). Then his disability allows him to continue to be considered a "Qualifying Child" dependent for tax purposes,  regardless of age.  But, not for the Child tax credit.

There are two types of dependents, "Qualifying Children"(QC) and standard ("Qualifying Relative" in IRS parlance even though they don't have to actually be related). There is no income limit for a QC but there is an age limit, student status, a relationship test and residence test. Only a QC qualifies a taxpayer for the Earned Income Credit. 

A child of a taxpayer can still be a “Qualifying Child” (QC) dependent, regardless of his/her income, if:

1. He is under age 19, or under 24 if a full time student for at least 5 months of the year, or is totally & permanently disabled, at any age.
  2. He did not provide more than 1/2 his own support. Scholarships are excluded from the support calculation
  3. He lived with the parent (including temporary absences such as away at school) for more than half the year

Q. I do take her as a dependent on my taxes?

A. Yes. But, you do not claim the child tax credit.  Instead you get the $500 "Other dependent credit" (and EIC if you qualify).  You also get the $1400 dependent stimulus (recovery rebate credit), if you didn't already receive it.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies