turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

When will form 5695, residential energy credit be updated so I can claim my 2017 heater furnace? The credit was extended through 2017 by President Trump on 2/9/18.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

When will form 5695, residential energy credit be updated so I can claim my 2017 heater furnace? The credit was extended through 2017 by President Trump on 2/9/18.

That was eliminated for 2017 taxes

BUT...then it was added back, as it was just passed in the last budget bill on 9 Feb, and retroactively included and will eventually be available for your 2017 taxes.  BUT The forms needed in the tax software may take a month or more to get changed to include it (Blame that on congress).  

First the IRS has to now reprogram their computers in the middle of a busy tax season, 

....and then they have to notify the software companies how they want them to implement the changes.

.........then each company's software has to be RE-programmed, and to be tested with the IRS before it can be trotted out to the customers.  (Mid March...maybe but that's a wild guess)

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*

View solution in original post

3 Replies

Received message that form 5695 is uploaded in software, but I cannot access same as I get a message waiting for software update
    jill-dyer
    Returning Member

Form 5695, Home Energy Credits, has been available in TurboTax since early March.  Select "Deductions and Credits", then "Home Energy Credits" in the "Home" section towards the top of the screen.

That was eliminated for 2017 taxes

BUT...then it was added back, as it was just passed in the last budget bill on 9 Feb, and retroactively included and will eventually be available for your 2017 taxes.  BUT The forms needed in the tax software may take a month or more to get changed to include it (Blame that on congress).  

First the IRS has to now reprogram their computers in the middle of a busy tax season, 

....and then they have to notify the software companies how they want them to implement the changes.

.........then each company's software has to be RE-programmed, and to be tested with the IRS before it can be trotted out to the customers.  (Mid March...maybe but that's a wild guess)

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*
      message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
      Manage cookies