turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

levons777

To claim a business mileage deduction, do I need to have kept a mileage log of my work miles, or can I just estimate the annual miles?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

To claim a business mileage deduction, do I need to have kept a mileage log of my work miles, or can I just estimate the annual miles?

If you are audited, the IRS does not have to give you any deduction you can't prove.  The written instructions in publication 463 require a diary or log of some kind that includes the date, mileage, and business purpose of the trip, that is contemporaneous—kept at or near the time of the business trip.  The farther away from the trip, the more the IRS is likely to question the accuracy of your recollections.  When you sit with an auditor in 2021, going over your 2018 tax return, how will you convince them that your estimate is fair and accurate?

View solution in original post

4 Replies

Are you a W-2 employee or are you self-employed?
**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
levons777

Thanks, that is what I thought.

<a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/4482873-which-federal-tax-deductions-have-been-suspended-by-tax-re...>
**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

If you are audited, the IRS does not have to give you any deduction you can't prove.  The written instructions in publication 463 require a diary or log of some kind that includes the date, mileage, and business purpose of the trip, that is contemporaneous—kept at or near the time of the business trip.  The farther away from the trip, the more the IRS is likely to question the accuracy of your recollections.  When you sit with an auditor in 2021, going over your 2018 tax return, how will you convince them that your estimate is fair and accurate?

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies