turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

jodimarie

If I itemize federal deductions, do I need to itemize state deductions also?

Bought a home in NJ last year and I work in NY. I adjusted federal W4 and plan to itemize, but my NY State paperwork for adjusting my withholdings is asking if I plan to itemize. Do I have to? Do I need to? I'm assuming that all the mortgage interest/property taxes get credited on my NJ return. Can someone please advise??? Thank you!
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
AnnaB

New Jersey only allows certain deductions from income and does not have a true itemized deduction.  They do allow a deduction for property taxes, but not for mortgage interest.

In regards to New York, you can take the standard deduction even if you itemize on your Federal return.

You would use whichever one is more beneficial.  If you aren't sure, I would not say that you plan to itemize.  This will prevent them from not withholding enough taxes.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
AnnaB

New Jersey only allows certain deductions from income and does not have a true itemized deduction.  They do allow a deduction for property taxes, but not for mortgage interest.

In regards to New York, you can take the standard deduction even if you itemize on your Federal return.

You would use whichever one is more beneficial.  If you aren't sure, I would not say that you plan to itemize.  This will prevent them from not withholding enough taxes.

jodimarie

Thank you!
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies