Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

When I filed my 2017 return, I didn’t know there was a home energy credit available for our new boiler. I completed a 1040X, what other documents do I need to send?

I have a certification statement from the boiler manufacturer as well as the receipt for the boiler. Do I need to send those with the 1040X or is that form sufficient. Also, do I need to include form 5695 (Residential Energy Credits) or is that not necessary? 

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
DanielV01
Expert Alumni

When I filed my 2017 return, I didn’t know there was a home energy credit available for our new boiler. I completed a 1040X, what other documents do I need to send?

It's a good idea to do so, yes.  While the form itself is technically sufficient, there is no harm in sending in copies of that information along with the 1040X.  Since amended returns are physically reviewed, as compared to the e-filed returns which are not, providing the documents up front will (or should) eliminate any delays in processing the claim.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

2 Replies
DanielV01
Expert Alumni

It's a good idea to do so, yes.  While the form itself is technically sufficient, there is no harm in sending in copies of that information along with the 1040X.  Since amended returns are physically reviewed, as compared to the e-filed returns which are not, providing the documents up front will (or should) eliminate any delays in processing the claim.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thank you for your fast response!
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies