Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

genbara11

Tax-deductable IRA contribution

My wife has an IRA that we have not been able to make tax-deductible, contributions to in the past because I was working for the federal government, contributing to my federal retirement, and our income exceeded the threshold.

My wife and I are now retired, drawing money from my federal annuity, and SS.

Are we able to contribute to her IRA and deduct the contribution?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

7 Replies
dmertz
Level 15

You are only eligible to contribute to an IRA if you have compensation from employment, generally income reported in box 1 of a W-2 (minus any amount in box 11) or net earnings from self-employment.  Social Security and annuity income are not compensation.

It depends. Your ability to deduct an IRA contribution in part or in full depends on how much you earn, whether you or your spouse are currently contributing to other qualified retirement plans, and what type of IRA you have.

genbara11

Thanks! I have about $10K in Block 1, and want to contribute $5K. 

genbara11

Thanks! I have about $10K in Block 1, and want to contribute $5K. 

Block 1 of what form ???   A W-2 or a 1099-R ?   

I have a similar question.  I am retired, have a Federal pension but also worked this past year. My gross annuity was $112K but only earned $4.8K. In 2020 I did not contribute an employee retirement plan but am unsure whether my annuity payment disqualifies me for a tax break in 2020. Please advise- Turbotax asks the right question, I just don't know the right answer for my circumstances.  Thank you!  T

dmertz
Level 15

If don't have a W-2 that has box 13 Retirement plan marked and you made no self-employed retirement contributions, you are not an active participant in a workplace retirement plan and a traditional IRA contribution will be deductible.

march4666, your IRA contribution is limited to your compensation.  Your pension payments are not compensation.

TurboTax will automatically determine if any of the amount that you enter is an IRA contribution is an excess contribution and will automatically determine the amount that is deductible.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies