turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

lpburnette720
Returning Member

Stimulus Payment Form Not Saving My Answer

TurboTax indicates that I should have received two stimulus payments, and I entered that Yes, I did receive one payment (less than what TT indicates I should have received) and I entered the amount and also entered a zero for the second payment. When I click continue, it doesn't change my refund amount and nothing populates on line 30 on my 1040. When I go back to review that section, TT has changed my answers to indicate that I did receive the two full amounts. I can't get it to save the amounts that I enter and reflect the difference on line 30. What am I doing wrong?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

12 Replies
MinhT1
Expert Alumni

Yes.

If you did not receive your first and second stimulus payments, you can claim them on your 2020 tax return as the Recovery Rebate Credit.

In TurboTax Online, to claim the Recovery Rebate credit please do the following:

1. Sign into your account and continue from where you left off
  2. Click on Federal in the left-hand column, then on Federal Review on the top of the screen
  3. On the next page titled Let's make sure you got the right stimulus amount, click on Continue
  4. Follow the interview
  5. TurboTax will determine whether you are entitled to any additional stimulus
  6. Any stimulus amount remaining due to you will show as a credit on line 30 of your form 1040.
**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
lpburnette720
Returning Member

I have gone through the form multiple times at this point. Each time TT tells me what I should have received, I select No, and fill in what I actually received, and hit continue. My refund does not update, and nothing populated in line 30. I go back to the form and it looks as though I checked Yes, that's the amount I received. When I select No, it keeps reverting back to Yes. 

I am having the exact same issue.  I only received one stimulus payment and it was not the full amount.  Each time I return it shows my answer as "Yes" I did receive the maximum amount of both payments.  I have answered "No" to the question of whether I received the allotted amount multiple times.  TT continues to change my answer to "Yes."

KathrynG3
Expert Alumni

Yes, you must enter the details for the Recovery Rebate Credit to be calculated correctly. To do this in TurboTax, try using a Chrome, incognito web browser on a PC or Mac.

To correct this worksheet, delete it and re-enter it following these steps:

To delete the Recovery Rebate Credit:

1. From the left menu, select Tax Tools.
  2. Select Tools.
  3. Scroll to Delete a Form.
  4. Scroll to Recovery Rebate Credit Worksheet and select Delete and Delete Selected Form and Continue.

To re-enter the stimulus:

1. Go to the search box and enter stimulus. Click the Jump to link.
  2. Answer Yes.
  3. At the next screen, Let's double-check the amount you received, answer No to edit the first-round and second-round amounts.
  4. If no stimulus amount was received, enter 0. An amount must be entered in each box. When finished, click Continue.

For more information, see: Recovery Rebate Credit Frequently Asked Questions | Internal Revenue Service

@lpburnette720

@psm1212

when I delete the form in tools it tells me the form cannot be deleted

KrisD15
Expert Alumni

The question does not ask if you received ALL the stimulus, only if you received ANY. 

If you received ANY answer YES, then the amount you have received thus far.  

The program will calculate what to put on line 30. (The amount you still need to be paid) 

You do not enter what you should GET as a credit, only what you have received. 

The next screen shows what you should have received.

If you answer "No" on this next screen, enter what you did receive. The program will calculate a credit based on the First-round / Second-round payment you were eligible for. You won't get a credit for more than the program thinks you are eligible for. 

The payment may be adjusted for income. 

Is the screen that shows what you are eligible for consistent to what you think is the proper amounts? 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thank you KathrynG3.  I successfully went through the steps 3 times.  But each time I return to the page it shows that I received the entire amount.  Any other suggestions?

Kris:

I understood the initial question and answered it YES, because I received a partial payment.  On the next screen I answered NO that I did not receive what I was eligible to receive and then I entered what I actually received. 

The screen shows that I am eligible for $3,600 in payments.  I received $744.  Each time I enter this information, it defaults back to YES I received the full $3,600.

KathrynG3
Expert Alumni

It may be a summary showing the maximum available. Check what is being posted to Line 30 on Form 1040 for the Recovery Rebate Credit.

To see this in TurboTax, follow these steps:

1. From the left menu, go to Tax Tools.
  2. Then Tools and 
  3. View Tax Summary
  4. Return to the left menu and select Preview my 1040.
  5. Scroll down to Line 30.

If it is not correct there, return to the Tools, but instead select Delete a Form.

Select Recovery Rebate Credit and DeleteDelete Selected Form, and Continue.

Then, return to the Stimulus section and re-enter your details as you did before:

1. Go to the search box and enter stimulus. Click the Jump to link.
  2. Answer Yes.
  3. At the next screen, Let's double-check the amount you received, answer No to edit the first-round and second-round amounts.
  4. If no stimulus amount was received, enter 0. An amount must be entered in each box. When finished, click Continue.

@psm1212

I selected yes that I recieved both payments and was asked to enter amount of 1st $1700 and 2nd $1200 payment which I did but was given a credit of $500. I did this 3 times to make sure I didn't select something wrong. I recieved the same outcome each time. So I thought maybe there was an additional credit people were given that I didn't know about. I just got a notice from the IRS That my refund is less because the computer input a credit I did not qualify for. I am still getting a refund but worry for those who will get a notice that they owe because of this issue. I submitted mine on the 7th and another person on the 14th. 

To add to my reply when I printed my tax form off turbo tax there is nothing on line 30. But when I pull my IRS account information from the irs website it only shows the first stimulus payment it does not show that I entered the 2nd payment. 

KathrynG3
Expert Alumni

Thank you for these details. Please confirm your eligible Recovery Rebate Credit amount by checking page 58 for the Recovery Rebate Credit Worksheet of the 2020 Form 1040 Instructions.

For an overview of the calculations, see the Eligibility rules for the Recovery Rebate Credit at How do I claim the Recovery Rebate Credit?

To claim the Recovery Rebate Credit, you

• Must be owed an additional amount based on the information in this year’s 2020 Tax Filing. The maximum amounts are:
    • First payment: $1,200 ($2,400 if married filing jointly for 2020) plus $500 for each qualifying child you had in 2020; and
    • Second payment: $600 ($1,200 if married filing jointly for 2020) plus $600 for each qualifying child you had in 2020
  • Must be a U.S. citizen or U.S. resident alien,
  • Have a valid Social Security number, and
  • You can’t have been claimed as a dependent on someone else’s 2020 tax return

In general, taxpayers without an eligible Social Security number are not eligible for the credit. However, married taxpayers filing jointly where one spouse has a Social Security number and one spouse does not, are eligible.

There are also AGI limits to receive the full amount of the credit. Your adjusted gross income (AGI) must be below,

• $75,000 for individuals
  • $112,500 for heads of household
  • $150,000 for married, joint filers

For filers with income above those amounts, the credit amount is reduced by $5 for each $100 above the $75,000/$112,500/$150,000 thresholds. This means:

• An individual without children will not receive any credit if their AGI exceeds $87,000
  • A couple without children will not receive any credit if their AGI exceeds $174,000
  • A family of four will not receive any credit if their AGI exceeds $198,000
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies