Solved: Stimulus for Baby born in 2020

AbrahamBerger

Stimulus for Baby born in 2020

My Baby was born in July of 2020, as far as I can tell that should make him eligible for BOTH stimulus payments. The Turbo Tax software says I have received the full amount,  which cannot be correct, since children born in 2020 could not have received the payments. (And i have not received these payments) is this an error in the turbotax software?

Is there any way to manually add the form for stimulus payments?

AbrahamBerger

Stimulus for Baby born in 2020

So if i understand you correctly the 17 year age limit is NOT based on 2019 but on 2020! and based on the entire year. ie. Becoming 17 on the last day of 2020 would define a child as No longer eligible.

**update **

As @Opus 17 has correctly stated, the child must be 17 at the END of 2020 to receive the stimulus. 

Which explains my situation. See below.

**Under the eligibility rules by the IRS, the child must be under the age of 17 at the end of the year for the tax return on which the IRS bases the payment in order to receive the additional payment. Any dependent who is over age 17 and claimed on someone else’s tax return is not be eligible for the additional stimulus check.**

Stimulus for Baby born in 2020

If you did not receive your first and/or second stimulus payment or if the amount received is not correct, you can claim it on your 2020 tax return as the Recovery Rebate Credit. You can e-file your return even if you have no taxable income.

In TurboTax Online, to claim the Recovery Rebate credit please do the following:

1. Sign into your account and continue from where you left off
  2. Click on Federal in the left-hand column, then on Federal Review on the top of the screen
  3. On the next page titled Let's make sure you got the right stimulus amount, click on Continue
  4. Follow the interview
  5. TurboTax will determine whether you are entitled to any additional stimulus
  6. Any stimulus amount remaining due to you will show as a credit on line 30 of your form 1040.

NOW also make sure you added the child correctly ... make sure you choose ALL YEAR for the time they lived with you  AND  make sure you entered NO when ask if the KID provided more than 1/2 of their OWN support ...  

child born months 2019.jpgchild born support Q.jpg

AbrahamBerger

Stimulus for Baby born in 2020

I have correctly added my son as a dependent . Choosing "lived with me the whole year" and "no" on the did he support himself question.

The software still refuses to claim stimulus for him!

AbrahamBerger

Stimulus for Baby born in 2020

I guess I'll have to move to some other software, just tested out my info on another website and they give the additional stimulus money. Seems to be an error in the TurboTax software.

Stimulus for Baby born in 2020

Did you claim a dependent in 2019 who is not being claimed by you in 2020?  The credit is based on the number of dependents you claim, not their identity.  Is your income above the start of the phase-out?  $75,000 for single and head of household and $150,000 for married filing jointly.  

Is this child awarding you the $2000 child tax credit? Then it must also be eligible for a stimulus payment and there must be some other reason that a further amount is not allowed.  

AbrahamBerger

Stimulus for Baby born in 2020

Thanks for taking the time to answer!

1. All previous dependants are claimed with the addition of the the Baby. 

2. Income is far below the threshold.

3. Not sure about the Child tax credit.

I'm wondering if perhaps my other dependent turning 17 at the end of 2020. Has anything to do with it. Not sure if that should make any difference. 

Stimulus for Baby born in 2020

Yes, that’s it.  A dependent age 17 or older is not eligible, due to the (possibly hasty) way that Congress defined eligibility.  You dropped one dependent from eligibility and added another; since the credit is based on the number of eligible dependents rather than their identity,  and there is no change in the number of dependents, you aren’t eligible for an additional amount.  

AbrahamBerger

Stimulus for Baby born in 2020

**update **

Which explains my situation. See below.

Stimulus for Baby born in 2020

BOTH stimulus checks were an ADVANCE of the 2020 credit based off 2018 or 2019 information and is being reconciled on the 2020 return.   On the 2020 return you have only one qualifying child and you have already received the credit for one child ... the fact that you have a different child on the 2020 return is irrelevant.