Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Stimulus check amount incorrect

I can't seem to find any answers on this question, and the IRS is understandably inaccessible, so I thought I'd ask here. I filed our taxes shortly before everything started locking down, but not soon enough before things got crazy, and so our tax return has been delayed in processing. It's been about a month or so. We had a child last year. She was included on our 2019 return, but because that return hasn't been processed yet, our stimulus check (or EBT rather) was sent for the wrong amount, less $500. I'm not sure if I'm just out that money or if there's a possibility that I'll be able to claim it later on, after the IRS reopens to take inbound calls. Anyone have a clue? I'm guessing I'm just going to have to wait until the IRS reopens, but maybe someone out there can point me to a source if they know any additional information.

Cheers,

Chad

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

8 Replies
KathrynG3
Expert Alumni

Yes. There will be a reconciling, but not until the 2020 tax return is filed.  

Visit the following links for the most recent updates:

IRS Coronavirus Tax Relief

TurboTax Corona Virus Tax Center Updates

@chaddesch

For 2018 I filed Married Joint with my then-husband. We had 3 dependents. In 2019 we had a baby and then were divorced. I have filed my 2019 taxes and was able to claim 3 of dependents as Head of Household. My ex-husband has still not filed his taxes for 2019. However, he received $3,900. I received nothing. I should have received $2,700 based on my 2019 taxes. Why did his 2018 ones trump my 2019 filing? I am guessing that since my newest baby wasn't on his 2018 taxes, that is why a total of $500 is missing. Should I still be expecting the $2,700 for my filing also? I guess sometimes getting taxes done on time is a disadvantage. 

DavidD66
Expert Alumni

I know this won't help much now, but when you file your 2020 tax return you should receive a refundalbe tax credit for the stimulus payments for which you are eligible, based on your 2020 tax return.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I appreciate the response. It was to be expected. I know everyone is working hard to get this stimulus out and there are bound to be hiccups along the way. It'll give me something to look forward to in 2020. Stay positive out there everyone. 

DavidD66
Expert Alumni

You are very welcome!  And who knows, the way the rules keep changing you might get it this year!

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Lilwill_1984
Returning Member

I only got 2900. I did not receive 1000  for my other two children that I have, why is that?

cochen

Same situation here. I had a child in 2019. I submitted my taxes on April 10 and claimed my child as a dependent. However, the stimulus check amount did not take him into account and therefore I received $500 less because the IRS pulled the information from 2018.

How and when can I request the missing $500?

Thank you very much.

@cochen @Lilwill_1984 - it will work itself out, but worst case not until 2020 tax returns are filed 

• The stimulus payments are really based on your 2020 tax return (income, dependents, etc).
  • The IRS is using either 2018 or 2019 – whatever is available  - to ESTIMATE that payment
  • When you file next year there will be a “settle up” section on the tax return. 
  • If you are due more stimulus (and this would include where you simply never received it), you will receive it through the 2020 tax filing.
  • If you received too much, by law, you are not required to return it

does that help? 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies