mctaggert-112

Standard deduction

I have Turbo Tax Deluxe. I finished income and I want to take standard deduction. How do I do this with this program? Were do I go on the screen to start standard deduction.

Standard deduction

@RTJOB wrote:

So I am doing my 2019 turbo tax return and enter my deductions except I never say one for my 65 and older for $1300 additional standard deduction.  I cannot itemize because based on my info turbo tax 2019 automatically tranformed my return to the standard deduction for married filed jointly.  Am I getting the 65 or older credit since I turned 65 in October 2019 or do I have to add it somewhere?  Can’t see were I am getting the additional deduction in turbo tax 2019? 

The standard deduction is automatic and if your date of birth was entered correctly in the My Info section, the additional amount for being age 65 or older will be added to the standard deduction.

Look at your tax return Form 1040 Line 9

Click on Tax Tools on the left side of the screen. Click on Tools. Click on View Tax Summary. Click on Preview my 1040 on the left side of the screen.

Standard deduction

You receive the Standard Deduction automatically.  If you enter itemized deduction then the program will give you greater of either the Standard or Itemized deduction.

Standard deductions for 2019

• Single - $12,200 add $1,650 if age 65 or older
  • Married Filing Separately - $12,200 add $1,300 if age 65 or older
  • Married Filing Jointly - $24,400 add $1,300 for each spouse age 65 or older
  • Head of Household - $18,350 add $1,650 if age 65 or older
RTJOB

Standard deduction

Standard deduction

@RTJOB wrote:

RTJOB

Standard deduction

It is there on line 9.  Standard deduction for married filing jointly is $24,400 + the $1,300 for the 65 and older deduction came to $25,700.  Thanks very much for this answer otherwise it was and is not transparent.

jstanley

Standard deduction

I have Turbotax Premier.  I want to enter the standard deduction and skip entering all the itemized deductions.  How do I do that?

BarbaraW22

Standard deduction

As DoninGA stated above, TurboTax will automatically enter the standard deduction on your tax return if you do not enter any itemized deductions. You can just skip adding any information in the "Deductions and Credits" section, scroll down to the bottom and click on "Wrap up tax breaks." TurboTax will provide you with the amount of your standard deduction on the next screen.

@jstanley

Schatzemolly

Standard deduction

Your standard deduction on the program is incorrect..married filing jointly and 2 over 65 should be 27400.

DawnC

Standard deduction

$27,400 will be the standard deduction for MFJ with both over 65 on 2020 returns.  The standard deduction for Married filing Jointly for 2019 tax returns is:

Your standard deduction starts at $24,400.

• Add $1,300 if you were born before January 2, 1955.
  • Add $1,300 if your jointly-filing spouse was born before January 2, 1955.
  • Add $1,300 if you were blind as of December 31, 2019.
  • Add $1,300 if your jointly-filing spouse was blind as of December 31, 2019.

@Schatzemolly

ErickSuarez

Standard deduction

I just filed my taxes and I got the standard deduction the only thing is I’m not 65+ me and my wife are 23-24 and got deductions of $24k is that normal?  How can I change that if I already submitted it? 

VictorW9

Standard deduction

Yes, it is normal. The new Tax Cuts and Jobs Act (TCJA) almost double the standard deduction for family of four than before 2018. Now for 2019, the standard deduction for a married couple filing joint is 24,400.

Standard deduction

For anyone else reading this......

For 2019 the standard deduction amounts are:

Single 12,200 + 1,650 for 65 and over or blind

HOH 18,350 + 1,650 for 65 and over or blind

Joint 24,400+ 1,300 for each 65 and over or blind

Married filing Separate 12,200 + 1,300 for 65 and over or blind

philkatzan

Standard deduction

wsummer

Standard deduction

how do i override a standard deduction on a sr-1040 return and use itemized deduction?  thanks.

RTJOB

Standard deduction