turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Standard deduction for over 65

Did you accidentally check that someone else can claim you as a dependent?

pweseman
Returning Member

First, I have nothing on left side of screen that reads Tax Tools. But on the 1040 form line 12a reads $25,100

@pweseman Were you both 65 BEFORE the end of 2021?

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
pweseman
Returning Member

Thank you for finally giving me a question other than 'are you sure you entered both of your DOB correctly'. Unfortunately, this is not the answer. That box is not checked on form 1040.

pweseman
Returning Member

Yes our DOBs are 1948 and 1949 and yes they are both entered correctly.

So despite the date of birth you entered in My Info, you are not seeing those boxes checked in the area for Standard Deduction----the boxes that say you were born beforeJanuary 2, 1957  ?

Try this---one of you at a time.  Delete the information in My Info---then re-enter your personal information screen by screen.  

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
pweseman
Returning Member

That is correct. The over 65 boxes are not checked and will not allow me to check them. I had previously erased and redid the personal info, but I just did it again. No change.

@pweseman I am mystified.   What software do you have?   Are you using online?   Or do you have the CD/download?   If you have the CD/download--what version?

pweseman
Returning Member

Me too and obviously at least 3 people from Turbo Tax who I've spoken with. I installed the Home and Business version from a CD. Is that what you mean by version?

@pweseman Yes---that is what I meant.   I have not seen any other reports of this as a problem with that version of the software.    Are you using Windows or are you on a Mac?    Have you updated your software?

pweseman
Returning Member

I have Windows and it automatically updates always.

If you are using the Windows desktop  then switch to the forms mode and select the "Personal Information" in the left side column and see if your DOB and marital status is correct.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/using-turbotax/help/how-do-i-switch-to-forms-mode-in-the-turbotax-...

Screen Shot 2022-04-01 at 9.35.14 AM copy.jpg

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**
pweseman
Returning Member

Have looked at the forms so many times, my eyes hurt. Everything is right.

@pweseman wrote:

Have looked at the forms so many times, my eyes hurt. Everything is right.

By any chance is the "yes" box checked on the "Personal Info" form on Part II line 1?

Again using the forms mode to view the "1040/1040SR Worksheet"  scroll down to "Standard Deduction" - are ANY boxes checked - which ones?

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**

How are you entering the dates?  Should be mm/dd/yyyy.  Maybe check your computer settings for date.  Especially the short date.  

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies