Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

arcticranger
Returning Member

SSDI question

I thought SSDI was taxed at a lower rate than regular SS but I don't see any distinction between them in TurboTax for 2020.  Can someone clarify that for me?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies

SSDI question

Up to 85% of Social Security Retirement/Disability/Survivors benefits becomes taxable when all your other income plus 1/2 your social security reaches:

• Married Filing Jointly - $32,000
  • Single or Head of Household - $25,000
  • Married Filing Separately - 0
arcticranger
Returning Member

SSDI question

I do exceed that $25000 threshold.  Does TT automatically detect and calculate the correct percentage that is taxable?

rjs
Level 15
Level 15

SSDI question

SSDI is taxed exactly the same as Social Security retirement benefits. There is no distinction in TurboTax because there is no distinction in the tax law. I don't know where you got the impression that they are treated differently.

@arcticranger wrote:

Does TT automatically detect and calculate the correct percentage that is taxable?

Yes, you enter the full amount from box 5 of your Form SSA-1099. TurboTax automatically calculates the taxable amount. On Form 1040 the total amount that you received is on line 6a and the taxable amount is on line 6b. You can see the calculation on the Social Security Benefits Worksheet.

arcticranger
Returning Member

SSDI question

I read a lot of apparently bad info on the web, big surprise right?  Thanks a lot for clearing it up.

SSDI question

Mixing up SSI and SSDI is a common error ... one gets a SSA-1099 issued in January because it can be taxable and the other doesn't. 

SSI is Supplemental Security Income and is not from the Social Security Administration.  It is designed to help aged, blind, and disabled people, who have little or no income; and. It provides cash to meet basic needs for food, clothing, and shelter.    SSI is not reported on a tax return.

Social Security Retirement/Disability/Survivors (SSDI & SSA)  benefits are reported on a form SSA-1099 and the benefits received are reported on a federal tax return and can be up to 85% taxable.

However, if the Social Security benefits are the Only income to be reported on the tax return, then there is no reason or need to file a tax return.

To enter Social Security benefits reported on form SSA-1099

• Click on Federal Taxes (Personal using Home and Business)
  • Click on Wages and Income (Personal Income using Home and Business)
  • Click on I'll choose what I work on (if shown)
  • Scroll down to Retirement Plans and Social Security
  • On Social Security (SSA-1099, RRB-1099), click the start or update button

Or enter social security benefits in the Search box located in the upper right of the program screen.  Click on Jump to social security benefits

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies