turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

pher
Level 3

I am a co-borrower on a mortgage (50-50 split). Should "Original Loan Balance" and "Balance on Jan 1" be the full loan amount or half?

To be clear, I am not talking about "Your portion of mortgage interest" or "Outstanding mortgage principal." I understand those are to be split in half compared to what's on the 1098. What I'm not sure of is if the Original Loan Balance and Balance on Jan 1 should also be split or not. This may be important as if it's the full amount, it's over the $750,000 cap, but if half amount, it is under.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

I am a co-borrower on a mortgage (50-50 split). Should "Original Loan Balance" and "Balance on Jan 1" be the full loan amount or half?

You can't deduct half of what you cant deduct.

if you are splitting interest enter the full amounts as shown on the 1098, except for the interest you are claiming which should be one half the interest.

pher
Level 3

Sorry, I don't understand if this response is actually answering what I'm looking for. I'm not asking about the interest but rather the "original loan balance" and "Balance on Jan 1."
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies